On behalf of McGowan & Cecil LLC posted in Construction Workers' Accidents on Tuesday, March 24, 2015. When you're working with electrical equipment, you know that you need to wear special safety gear and be aware of live wires. Normally, you or another
When you're working with electrical equipment, you know that you need to wear special safety gear and be aware of live wires. Normally, you or another worker will turn off the power to an area if you're planning on moving equipment or working on construction there. If that doesn't happen, you or others you work with could be badly hurt or killed.
That's exactly the problem that resulted in a construction worker being electrocuted in Maryland, according to an article from March 24. Earlier in the day, a fire had taken place at Lighthouse Liquors in Charlotte Hall. The blaze was eventually put out, and the clean-up was underway when this accident took place.
The worker who was helping move the refrigerator said that he had thought that the power was off when they were moving the equipment. Unfortunately, the electricity was still live, and there was a surge that resulted in the worker being shocked.
The worker reportedly had to be taken to the hospital, but he didn't required CPR. No additional information on his welfare had been reported at the time of the article, but he was still alive. Now, an investigation is going to take place with help from Southern Maryland Electrical Cooperative's Safety Department. This should identify why the power surged when the men were moving the refrigerator.
Following a fire or other natural disaster, it's important for construction teams to be safe and to communicate effectively. Getting injured in an accident like this shouldn't happen; with the right safety checks and balances, everyone should be able to be safe at the scene.