Laurel Premises Liability Attorneys
Slip-and-Fall, Negligent Security & Other Claims
After suffering an injury on someone else’s property, you can turn to McGowan & Cecil, LLC for compassionate and experienced legal counsel. You surely have enough to deal with as you try to recover from your injuries, so do not pile legal complications and conflicts onto everything, too. Leave your premises liability claim entirely up to our team and know that it is trial-tested and capable hands.
Cases We Handle
We are capable of handling all sorts of premises liability claims, such as:
- Slip-and-fall accidents: Small hazards like uplifted carpeting or slick floors can lead to serious injuries if precautions are not used to address those hazards.
- Dog bites: Animal owners must take reasonable steps to protect visitors from their pets, especially when they have reason to believe that their dog could act aggressively.
- Negligent security: Certain property owners must provide reasonable security precautions to protect guests, visitors, clients, and tenants from harm caused by criminals.
- Toxic exposure: Dangerous chemicals and substances must be stored and discarded in a way that does not put anyone on the property at risk of exposure.
No matter what led to your injuries, if a property owner could have prevented them with additional care, then we want to know about it. With us leading the way and managing your claim, you can pursue full and maximized compensation.
What Is an Open & Obvious Hazard?
In many premises liability claims, one question is inevitably asked: “Was the hazard open and obvious?” This question is a slightly legal way of asking if the hazard that caused the claimant’s injuries was noticeable enough that the property owner should have known about it had they been reasonably vigilant about the condition of their property.
If the property owner did know about the hazard, then the next question to ask is whether or not they made reasonable attempts to address the hazard and keep visitors safe from its dangers. When a hazard can be proven as open and obvious, the claimant’s argument will be strengthened, and it can become easier to prove liability belongs to the property owner.
However, insurance defense teams like to argue the inverse and say that if the hazard was so obvious to the claimant, they should have done more to avoid it. This argument is legally weak, though, as property owners have a strict liability to protect visitors and others from harm, even if those people are not paying close attention to their surroundings. An experienced premises liability lawyer, like our team here at McGowan & Cecil, LLC, can find creative ways to shut down this argument.
What Damages Are Available in a Premises Liability Claim?
Your premises liability claim might include the following damages and more:
- Medical bills: The extent of your medical bills incurred due to your injuries can be paid by the defendant in a premises liability claim. Medical costs should include bills already paid and those that will become necessary to pay far into the future.
- Lost wages: If you were too injured in your premises liability accident to go to work for a while, then those wages you were not paid can be provided through a successful settlement or verdict.
- Pain and suffering: The physical pain and hardships you have endured due to your injuries can be counted as noneconomic damages, which can sometimes be calculated by totaling all economic damages and applying a subjective multiplier.
- PTSD: For negligent security and dog bite claims, it is common for the claimants to complain of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptoms. Such lingering emotional aftereffects of an attack can be answered with damaged paid to the claimant or plaintiff.
Put 100+ Years of Experience on Your Side Today
It would be our pleasure as your chosen Laurel premises liability attorneys to calculate your total damages for you. We connect with medical, financial, and occupational experts to get a true and clear picture of how much harm a negligent property owner has caused you. Once we know what you should be provided, we dig in and fight for every last penny!